Disclaimer:
All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property
of their respective owners. The original
character and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the
owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Summary: When the world ended the
only thing Birdie Grimes wanted to do was to get home to her family. When she finds her sister-in-law and best
friend on the outskirts of Atlanta, will she finally get the chance to tell him
how she really feels? Will love blossom? *No evil Shane*
Warning: This fan-fiction is rated Mature for
Language, Gore and Adult Situations.
Readers under the age of 18 are strongly discouraged from reading.
Pairing: Shane Walsh
x Birdie Grimes
Chapter
Eleven
By the time I had made it back to camp—after a little detour
to calm my temper—my brother was already redressed in his uniform and arguing
with Shane about him going back. Daryl
was watching all of like a hawk, sizing us up as he carefully went about wiping
down his crossbow. Even I could
appreciate his Horton, though, with my how much weight I’ve lost in recent
months, I knew I could never hope to string it.
“So that’s it, huh,” Shane said following my brother as he
tried to gather himself. “You’re just
gonna walk off, to Hell with everybody else?”
Ricky shook his head, trying to find the words to explain
why he had to do this. Oh, I knew why of
course, it was my brother’s huge heart that usually led him to disaster—but
even I had to stop and marvel at this new idiocy.
“I’m not sayin’ to Hell with anybody. Not you, Shane. Lori, least of all.”
“Yeah,” Shane spat, nearly trembling with nervous
energy. “And what about Birdie? Man, she fought her way here from Tampa so
she could find you and Carl…and what, her sacrifice means nothing to you?”
“Shane,” Rick sighed, looking to me for help. Sorry brother dear, you are so on your own with
this one. I just couldn’t justify him
sacrificing his life for a man who would sooner kill him than speak to him—he
was leaving Carl behind for this.
“Tell her that.”
“She knows.” Rick
said lightly.
“No, Ricky, I don’t know.
I don’t think any of us do. So
explain to me why you’re gonna leave Carl without a father and Lori without a
husband, again?”
He winced, and I think I may have finally hit a small sore
spot with him. He had no idea what we
had all been going through in the time he was in that coma, both before and
after the outbreak.
“Ricky, you just woke up the other day, we’ve had to live
this for month…months Ricky! The whole
time we spent thinking you were never gonna wake up! That you were one of those
things! So you tell me why this is more
important than taking care of your family!”
I knew I would be yelling by the end of that, but I didn’t expect the
hot sting of tears that accompanied it.
Shane growled next to me.
“Why risk your life for a douche-bag like Merle Dixon?”
“Shane,” I hissed at the same time Daryl pointed a bolt in
our direction and said, “Hey, choose your words more carefully.”
Shane shook his head and leveled Daryl with a glare that
sent shivers down my spine. “No, I
did. Douche-bag’s what I meant…Merle
Dixon, guy wouldn’t give you a glass of water if you were dyin’ of thirst.”
Of course my tenderhearted brother couldn’t even begin to
see Shane’s logic—he’s just too good of a man, too sweet.
“So you and Daryl, that’s your big plan,” Lori said,
crossing her arms over her chest, trying her best to make Rick feel guilty—it
was too bad for her that I just wasn’t in the mood to hear her lip either.
“You,” I pointed in her direction and her eyes went
wide. “shut your mouth, it was you that
put your husband up to this… you might as well have served him to the walkers
on a silver serving tray.”
Daryl snickered from across the fire but Rick gave me “that
look” and I growled and bit the inside of my cheek to keep from lashing out any
further. I loved Lori, and I was
probably a lot harsher than I meant to be…but why did she have to say anything. She probably knew Ricky as good as anybody
and telling him to do “the right thing” set the Hero fire under his ass. I
could smack the shit out of her right now.
“It’s not just four.
You’re putting everyone at risk.
Just know that, Rick. Come on,
you saw that walker. It was here, it was
in Camp. They’re movin’ out of the cities. They come back, we need every able body we’ve
got. We need’em to protect camp.”
“Shane’s right,” I said speaking up again. “Let me go in your place.”
That suggestion was met by a strong chorus of “No.”
“Why not, I know my way around the city, I’m just as good a
shot as Rick and I’m just as fast as Glenn.”
I defended; making sure that Ricky knew how serious I was about
this.
“No way in Hell, Birdie,” Shane snapped at the same time
Daryl yelled, “Hell no. I’d take the coon before I’d take a woman!”
“It seems to me what you really need most here are more
guns.” Ricky spoke up in his calm voice,
immediately drawing everyone’s attention away from the argument I had
inadvertently started.
“Right, the guns,” Glenn said looking thoughtful.
“Wait, what guns?”
Shane asked, walking around behind me and pulling my back to his
chest. I guess I really upset him by
wanting to go. He needed to
understand. I don’t have a husband or a
child that needed me…
“Six shotguns, two high-powered rifles and over a dozen
handguns; I cleaned out the cage back at the station before I left. I dropped the bag in Atlanta when I got
swarmed.
“Ammo?” Shane asked,
but I just growled and walked away.
It was obvious that Ricky had made up his mind about this
and clearly he had Shane all aboard this crazy train now, too. Well, I wasn’t going to stand around and
watch it. If Rick seriously wanted to risk
his life for a bunch of guns that aren’t even that useful…well, he could do it
without me there to see him off. There
was no way I could watch the heartbreak on my nephews face and not clock Ricky
one in the jaw…possibly Lori, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment