Sunday, November 25, 2012

Chapter Twenty-Seven


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property of their respective owners.  The original character and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Summary: When the world ended the only thing Birdie Grimes wanted to do was to get home to her family.  When she finds her sister-in-law and best friend on the outskirts of Atlanta, will she finally get the chance to tell him how she really feels?  Will love blossom?  *No evil Shane* 

Warning:  This fan-fiction is rated Mature for Language, Gore and Adult Situations.  Readers under the age of 18 are strongly discouraged from reading.

Pairing: Shane Walsh x Birdie Grimes

Chapter Twenty-Seven


 

“You have no idea what this is, do you?”  I asked, the feeling of dread welling up from the pit of my stomach. 

Jenner turned to me, shrugging his shoulders.  “It could be microbial, viral, parasitic, and fungal.” 

Well that narrows it down, thank you. 

“The wrath of God.”  Jacqui added. 

“There is that,” Jenner agreed with a smirk. 

Personally, I didn’t like that answer.  Any of that other shit…we could survive against, but against the wrath of a deity…I wasn’t so sure.  I wasn’t foolish enough to believe I had lived a good enough life to be saved from a God’s anger while children lay burning from infection in the streets…  I wasn’t divine and I wasn’t devoted… sorry, I wasn’t buying that answer one bit.  We did this to ourselves and we would have to undo it or die. 

“Somebody must know something,” Andrea proclaimed and once again I found myself losing my patience with her.  What did she want to know…how it had started, the reason didn’t matter much to me anymore, I just wanted to keep my loved ones safe. 

“There might be some, like me,” Jenner said offhandedly, obviously tiring of having to explain himself. 

“But you don’t know?  How can you not know?”  Ricky urged, stepping towards Jenner.  He had that crazy look in his eye again and it worried me. 

“Everything went down.  Communication, directives…all of it.  I’ve been in the dark for almost a month now.”  Jenner explained, his eyes flickering up to me. 

“So, it’s not just here,” Andrea stated.  “There’s nothing left anywhere?  Nothing?  That’s what you’re really saying, right?” 

“Man,” Daryl grumped, somehow right beside me.  “I’m gonna get shit faced drunk again.”  I smack his shoulder, glaring at him and sent Carl over to his mother who looked ready to spit nails at the grubby hunter at my side. 

“You really want that kitchen knife in your gut, don’t you, Dixon?”  I asked, jutting my chin out to where my sister-in-law stood, glaring laser beams at Daryl. 

“Dr. Jenner,” Dale suddenly asked, “I know this has been taxing for you and I hate to ask—

I barely held in the urge to be petty and say “no you don’t”

“One more question, but…that clock, it’s counting down.  What happens at zero?” 

Good damn question.  In fact, before Dale said anything, I had paid attention at all to the clock counting backwards. 

“The basement generators…they run out of fuel.”  Jenner shrugged nonchalantly. 

“Um, then what?”  I asked, curious.  “How do we survive in here without air?” 

Jenner looked at me, a tear streaming down his face before he turned abruptly from me and strode away. 

“Vi?” Ricky called out worriedly, “What happens when the power goes out.” 

“When the power runs out…facility wide decontamination will occur.” 

I gasped, jumping back in complete shock and covering my face with my hands.

“Birdie,” Shane called, his hands gripping me tighter.  “Birdie, what is it?” 

“Neutralization.  They’re goin’ into biohazard mode.  They…the building is going to remove the threat of infection!  We need to get out of here!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment