Disclaimer:
All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property
of their respective owners. The original
character and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the
owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Summary: When the world ended the
only thing Birdie Grimes wanted to do was to get home to her family. When she finds her sister-in-law and best
friend on the outskirts of Atlanta, will she finally get the chance to tell him
how she really feels? Will love blossom? *No evil Shane*
Warning: This fan-fiction is rated Mature for
Language, Gore and Adult Situations.
Readers under the age of 18 are strongly discouraged from reading.
Pairing: Shane Walsh
x Birdie Grimes
Chapter
Twenty-Two
Opening the rec-room door, Carl, Sophia and I found Trusty
already waiting for us, happily wagging his tale.
“Well, Jenner said we can’t turn on any of the gaming
systems but there are plenty of books and board games here. Have at it.”
Both of them smiled brightly at me and took off like a shot,
Trusty bumbling on behind them goofily.
We played a game of Mouse Trap for about thirty minutes
before they were both yawning loudly into their fists and looking at me with
droopy eyes.
“Alright guys, how about a bedtime story, your choice.”
Sophia looked truly excited by this and it made me wonder if
Ed’s controlling nature was also messing with her development. For some reason I just didn’t see Ed as the
type of man who would let Carol out of her “chores” to even read a bedtime
story to their daughter. That man was a
fuckin’ pig.
Admittedly, I was a little proud when Carl let Sophia pick
the book she wanted me to read. It was
sweet and in that moment he reminded me even more of my brother; always
giving.
Sophia came back with one of my favorite children’s book The Giving Tree. It was oddly fitting for the situation we
found ourselves in these days.
“Aunt Birdie,” Carl asked over Sophia’s loud yawn. “Will you ask Mom and Carol if Sophia and I
can stay in here tonight?”
I smiled ruefully to myself, having already planned for him
to ask me that. From what I had
witnessed in the dining hall, neither Lori nor Carol was gonna mind Carl and
Sophia out of their hair for the night and that really fit in with my
plans.
“Well,” I smiled sweetly.
“On one condition.”
Carl beamed, perking up.
“Anything!”
“Will you guys babysit Trusty for me tonight?” I pleaded, trying to seem as serious as I
could asking my nephew to dog sit so I could wiggle hips with my best friend of
thirty years. Yeah, my cheeks were on
fire.
Both Carl and Sophia nodded, looking even happier to have
the group’s furry, four-legged creature stay with them for the night. Uh-oh, I suddenly remembered the things
Ricky, Shane and I used to do to the family dog during sleep overs. Thank God they didn’t have access to Aqua-net
hairspray and nail polish.
Trusty, don’t hate me
in the morning, I thought to myself.
“Alright then, do we have a deal?” I asked, sticking out my hand for the
customary spit-on-it handshake—sans spit.
Both of them shook my hand with vigor and started off for
Rick and Lori’s room to find extra blankets to make a fort, with me right
behind them. Dear Lord, Ricky and Lori
were gonna kill me in the morning, but it would so be worth it…well, that is if
Shane doesn’t pass out soon, then this would all be for nothing.
Hmmm, I had better go find him soon.
“Aunt Birdie?” Carl
asked nervously. I turned to face him
and yes, he was ringing his hands and staring at the floor. Oh boy.
“Yeah, what is it, buddy?”
“Are you gonna be in Uncle Shane’s room?” My eyes widened sharply and my face had to
have taken on the color of a beet root, because Carl looked up at me and his
blue eyes went wide as well, blushing just as madly as me. “I-I mean…in case…in case Trusty gets
scared?”
Yeah, nice save little Grimes. Not!
Clearing my throat awkwardly, I nodded. “Yeah, I’ll be in bed with Uncle Shane.”
Carl suddenly smiled, his cute pearly whites showing. “Cool.
I always wanted you and Uncle Shane to get married, but Dad always said
you and Uncle Shane didn’t love each other like that. Was he wrong?”
“Carl!” Lori
exclaimed, as always, conveniently showing up to overhear on of the most
embarrassing conversations of my life.
Carl winced and Sophia giggled. I had to admit, I was fighting off a smile
myself. My goofy nephew was just too
much sometimes.
Shanking off my smile, I looked at Lori whose eyebrows had
disappeared into her hairline. “Hey Lori,
did you need somethin’?”
She shook her head distractedly. “I was just coming to check on these two.”
I nodded in understanding.
“Yes, well these two want to make a fort in the rec-room with Trusty as
their shining steed.” I said with a
giggle. “What do ya think?”
She smiled slyly at me and nodded. “I think we could work that out,” she
started, then leaning over, she whispered.
“T-dog and Jacqui just had to carry Carol back to her bedroom.”
“Really?” I snorted.
“Oh yeah.” She
laughed, “It was good to see her loosen up for a change. I’ll make sure I leave a note under her door
or something so she doesn’t worry when she wakes up.”
“Sounds like a plan, man.”
“So,” Lori said, her voice turning all sly and knowing
again. “From what I caught of this
conversation and what I saw in the dining hall, I gather you’ll be bunking with
Shane this evening?”
“Shut-up, Lori,” I told her with a playful shove. “Go back to the table and let Ricky hump your
leg some more.”
“Just admitted it,” she said, swatted my shoulder and
ignoring my jab at her sex life. “I was
right about the whole thing?”
Blushing, I conceded.
“Yeah, you were right.”
Lori laughed and threw her arm around my shoulder, squeezing
me tightly. “Did he finally tell
you?”
Again I nodded. “Is
he still in the mess hall?”
Lori nodded. “Last I
saw, he was trying to get your brother to go to bed, doubt it worked though,
Daryl’s been cheering him on most of the night.”
I groaned, feeling a true since of pity for Lori. Rick would
be a handful in the morning. “Is Daryl
still being all flirty and cheeky?”
Lori snorted and laughed hard. “Oh Birdie, you blind fool.”
“What?”
“Daryl hasn’t been flirty or…cheeky with anybody but you. Rick said he was asking a lot of questions
about you when they went to find Merle.”
“Great, I’m sure Shane will just love that.”
We walked in silence back to the rec-room and started
setting up the fort for Sophia and Carl.
When we were through, and mostly sure it would hold throughout the
night. I threw down some newspaper for
Trusty in the adjoining bathroom and warned the kids not to forget it was there
or they’d have a hell of wake up when then stepped in something unpleasant.
Finally, I stood ready to make my departure, but Carl’s hand
tugging on my shirt stilled me.
Swatting down on my haunches, I waited for my goodnight
kiss, but it never came. Instead Carl
regarded me seriously before asking.
“You never finished earlier. Was
Dad wrong?”
I laughed, totally amused by my nephews determination. “Yes Carl, he was wrong. I love your Uncle Shane very much.”
His face lit up with a smile as he fist pumped the air. “Awesome, Dad owes me five dollars!”
My eyes widened for a moment and then, I laughed, kissing
his cheek and telling him and Sophia goodnight.
“Has anyone in this family not made a bet on my love
life?” I grumbled to Lori as I passed,
leaving her with the children as I went on a search for my Italian
Sherriff.
Lori just laughed.
No comments:
Post a Comment