Disclaimer:
All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property
of their respective owners. The original
character and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the
owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Summary: When the world ended the
only thing Birdie Grimes wanted to do was to get home to her family. When she finds her sister-in-law and best
friend on the outskirts of Atlanta, will she finally get the chance to tell him
how she really feels? Will love blossom? *No evil Shane*
Warning: This fan-fiction is rated Mature for
Language, Gore and Adult Situations.
Readers under the age of 18 are strongly discouraged from reading.
Pairing: Shane Walsh
x Birdie Grimes
Chapter
Twelve
As much as I hated it, I did suck up my pride to go see my
brother and the others off, however, I had no doubts that Ricky knew just how
displeased I was with him when he left.
I didn’t say anything to Lori or Shane after the group departed, afraid
that I may say something hurtful to either one of them. So instead, I grabbed the large stack of
Shane, Carl and Lori’s laundry and headed for the quarry.
A smile broadened on my lips as I approached the gossiping
hens at the bottom of the quarry, but I did groan a little when I saw that it
was Ed who was on watch duty. I want to
know in what world sitting on your ass watching women work counted as any kind
of a duty—though, as I looked across the quarry and saw Shane splashing around
with Carl…I thought better of saying anything about it and starting something.
All four women—Jacqui, Amy, Andrea and Carol—looked up as I
approached, each of them giving me a timid smile, well except Andrea who seemed
to have taken her Prozac this morning and was beaming at me.
What a strange woman.
I said my hello’s and toed off my boots, sighing in comfort
as the cool water lapped over my burning feet.
Carol who was closest smiled and handed me a crude mixture of detergent
and a thick scrubbing brush. God, why
hadn’t I ever learned how to do this?
“So you and Shane?”
Amy asked after a minute of silence.
I looked to her raising a brow and she immediately defended
herself. “What? It’s not like he’s made an attempt to hide
it. He’s been practically peeing on your
leg since you showed up a couple of days ago.”
“Got that right, honey.”
Jacqui agreed, laughing when my face darkened with a blush.
“So, you and Shane, have you always been together?” Amy asked again.
Obviously, she isn’t
going to just let this go.
“No,” I said quietly.
“I never even knew he had feeling for me until…”
“Well, no time like the present. We never know when the day might be our
last.”
I nodded, thinking that Carol definitely made a strong
point.
As we worked our way through the astonishing pile of clothes
Jacqui looked over to where Shane had just fallen on his ass in the water. “I’m beginning to question the division of
labor.”
“Can someone explain to me why the women wound up doing all
the Hattie McDaniel work?” Andrea piped
in a minute later, but I seriously couldn’t help but laugh…Shane, he just
looked so silly all soaking wet and hollering like a drowning cat.
Amy smiled at me and then looked back over at her
sister. “The world ended, didn’t you get
the memo.”
I snorted.
“It’s just the way it is,” Carol replied, her eyes darting
over to where Ed had just let his second cigarette in the last fifteen
minutes.
The resigned look on her face sobered me fast. This was probably nothing new to Carol,
nothing new by a long shot.
“I do miss my Maytag,” she said a minute later, sighing
wistfully as she thought about the machine.
I hummed in agreement; this beating your clothes on rocks was for the
birds.
Andrea sighed next, a dreamy look on her face when she
talked about her fancy car. I really
couldn’t relate though. I had driven
that rusted out CJ most of my life… and I wouldn’t know how to work a GPS if
you put it in front of me. Shane, on the
other hand would probably be creaming his shorts right along with her…what was
it with men and shiny electronics?
“I miss my coffeemaker with a dual drip filter and built in
grinder, honey.” Jacqui said with a
little shimmy of her hips.
“Amen to that, sister.”
I said laughing. Dear Lord, how I
missed Starbuck’s. The mornings just
aren’t the same without good coffee, though; I don’t think I’d trade a bunch of
beans for the hunk of shirtless man meat I get as a wakeup call now.
“My computer…texting,” Amy said looking forlorn. I stuck my tongue and curled my nose. Electronics just weren’t my thing. Shane had to literally stay on the phone with
me the entire time I set up my laptop for work.
“What do you miss, Birdie?”
Carol asked sweetly, looking over at me with a small, timid smile.
I thought about it for a minute. I guess I was pretty lucky. I had my family, my dog, a wonderful man who
loved me. The only thing I guess I
really missed was…
“I miss my job,” Almost every eyebrow shot up at my answer
and I raised my hands in surrender.
“Tell me you wouldn’t want to play with Tiger cub’s and baby Elephants
all day.”
“Awe,” Amy cooed, making a face that told me she was still a
kid at heart. “You were a Zoo
Keeper?”
I nodded, not bother to explain the actual description that
my job entailed. It didn’t really matter
anymore anyways. I just hoped my animals
were okay. That they had gotten out and
were terrorizing the walkers as we speak.
“I miss my vibrator.”
Andrea said suddenly, looking like she really meant that too.
Jacqui’s eyes widened as she “mmmmm’d” and gave her a look
that said “you nasty, girl” while the rest of us snickered. The only one who looked bothered by this
topic of conversation was Amy and she was looking mighty green around the
gills.
Carol looked around, eyeing her disgusting husband for a
moment before she turned back to us, rolled her eyes and quietly said. “Me too.”
I choked on my own spit as I laughed, trying not to fall in
the water while the rest the girls fell out in raucous peals of whooping laughter.
It was nice getting to know these women. I had never had many girlfriends, mostly
because the ones I did have were only interested in getting to Shane or Rick
through me, but I could see myself making real friends here and that made me
smile.
“What’s so funny,” Ed said hatefully as he strolled down to
the edge of the water, looking at all of us like we had just broken the Chain-gang
rule of no talking or something as equally ridiculous.
Andrea rolled her eyes, looking up at the heavy man with
pure distain as she casually said. “Just
swappin’ war stories, Ed.”
All laughter and good humor were gone as he continued to
make his way toward us, coming to a stop just behind me. A tingle of dread crawled down my spine like
icy spider legs and somehow I knew that with this many strong willed women in
one space, things were not going to end well here today.
God, sometimes I really hated being right.
No comments:
Post a Comment