Disclaimer:
All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property
of their respective owners. The original
character and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the
owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Summary: When the world ended the
only thing Birdie Grimes wanted to do was to get home to her family. When she finds her sister-in-law and best
friend on the outskirts of Atlanta, will she finally get the chance to tell him
how she really feels? Will love blossom? *No evil Shane*
Warning: This fan-fiction is rated Mature for
Language, Gore and Adult Situations.
Readers under the age of 18 are strongly discouraged from reading.
Pairing: Shane Walsh
x Birdie Grimes
Chapter
Seven
Later that evening Rick regaled us with his story of waking
up in the hospital and the quest to find his family.
Shane sat beside me, his thick arm draped around me as we
cuddled with Trusty under the army blanket.
He was quieter than usual but he had a smile on his face that lit up his
dark eyes like sun—and that was alright with me and it made me smile too.
“Mom said you were dead.”
Carl said, his confused eyes looking to Lori for answers.
“And she had every right to believe that. Don’t you doubt that for a minute.” Rick replied, holding Carl closer to his
chest.
Shane tensed beside me and I knew he was playing the blame
game in his head again. Faster than a
snake, I pinched the inside of his thigh and he growled.
“Ya gotta quit doin’ that, Birdie.”
My eyes narrowed in confusion, not understanding why he got
so upset about a little pinch—Hell, I know I’ve pinched him harder than that in
the past, but as I tilted my head upward to look at him—it dawned on me.
His eyes were boring into mine as he regarded me with a look
of desire, nearly setting me on fire where I sat. I gulped heavily and nodded, promising
without words to behave. I had no doubts
that if I prodded the bull too much I was gonna get a lesson after lights out
that I’d never forget—which would be swell if we weren’t playing baby-sitter
this evening.
Trying to ignore the tingling sensation growing in my
abdomen, I scratched behind Trusty’s ears, my eyes darting around the camp fire
for a distraction and met my brother’s gaze as he stared back at me with wide
eyes. He looked down to Lori who was
also staring with a sly smirk on her face and then back to me, then Shane, then
me, before smiling widely and shaking his head.
Hmm…something tells me my brother just lost a bet of some
kind.
“Shane,” Rick said suddenly, making me jump. “I can’t thank you enough for getting my
family out and to safety. I owe
you.” He said, his eyes pointedly jumping
to me before resting back on Shane.
Shane smiled next to me, a truly genuine smile as he caught
on to Rick’s meaning. Rick wasn’t gonna
make a big deal out of the flirty eyes Shane had been giving me—thank God—I
don’t think I could handle big brother acting like, well, a big brother this
late in the game.
Suddenly the sound of wood cracking and fire popping
startled me into looking towards the Peletier family fire—where Ed had just dropped another log. That fat pig of a man knew the rules—and yet,
here he was breaking them and practically rubbing it in Shane’s face.
“You wanna rethink that log, Ed?” He
asked calmly, as he rubbed my arm soothingly. Trusty’s head popped up at suddenly different
tone in Shane’s voice but he didn’t growl or get up.
“It’s cold,” Ed replied, shrugging his shoulders as if to say “That’s
that.”
My blood boiled as I watched him reclaim his comfortable camping chair
while his wife and daughter sat on the cold ground. It was freezing out here tonight. So cold in fact, that almost all of us had on
some kind of winter clothes and were wrapped in several blankets. Hell, even Shane was wearing a jacket and
that jack-ass never got cold.
“What a pig,” I growled quietly next to Shane, itching to get
up and give Ed Peletier a piece of my mind.
If he wasn’t careful, he’d get the whole thing.
“You know the rules. We keep are
fires low so we can’t be seen from a distance,” Shane said with a little more
bite.
Ed scoffed, kicking at the rocks around their pit, “Why don’t you mind yer
own business for once?” Trusty growled
at his threatening tone and I had to grab on to his collar before he made a
nice snack out of Ed—You don’t mess with Papa Walsh or Mama Grimes, Trusty will
bite you.
Shane—however—lost his patience with that snotty remark and jumped to his
feet, striding over to Ed with purpose.
Lori and Rick looked to me like “Why didn’t you grab him?” and I just
shrugged, feigning innocence. Why would
I stop him from scaring the shit out of a chauvinistic pig?
The conversation was lost to me as Dale spoke up about Daryl Dixon and his
brother, but I winced when I saw Carol rise and pick up the warm log
bare-handed, before going back to sit by Ed dejectedly.
Shane looked about as pissed off as I’d ever seen him when he huffed back
down into the dirt beside me, his eyes cold and narrowed and looking straight
at Ed.
Out of the corner of my eye, I could see my brother getting a bit
more—snuggly—with Lori and I figured it was about that time.
“Hey Ricky,” I said, waiting for him to meet my eye. “Shane and I were hoping Carl would bunk with
us tonight. What do ya say?”
Rick chuckled, throwing me a pointed glare as Lori blushed and tucked her
head into Rick’s shoulder. Carl on the
other hand, had a different plan entirely.
“But Mom,” he whined, giving Rick the dreaded puppy eyes. “Dad just got here—
“Dale let me borrow the Walkman…” I
sang, taunting the small child with the promise of music that Lori said would
rot his brain.” He didn’t look quite
ready to take the bait so I added… “And…I found Slipnot Cd in the semi.”
“Yes!” He hissed, doing a little
happy dance in his mother’s lap, causing Rick and Shane to laugh while Lori
glared daggers at me.
“Hey,” I said defending myself.
“Shane’s tent is right next to yours, I needed something loud
enough.”
“Loud enough for what?” Carl asked.
“Nothing.” Rick, Lori and I all
replied at once and the rest of our fireside companions laughed at the failed
attempt to brush off my nephew’s question.
Lori continued to glare, but suddenly a smile worked its way onto her
face. Uh-oh. “You sure it’ll be loud enough with you two
right there?”
My mouth fell open in surprised and Shane coughed loudly, choking on his
water that he had been trying to sip on.
“Lori!” Rick scolded, swatting at
her leg.
She just shrugged not looking sorry in the least.
“Huh?” Carl said, looking confused,
before he gave up and shook his head.
“Adults are weird.”
Of course that sent the rest of back into another round of laughter.
Blushing like a mad woman, I stood up, brushing the debris from my backside
as I spoke. “And that’s the Bat signal
to call it a night. Come on, Little
Grimes, let’s go tell not ghost
stories. Come on, Tru.”
Trusty groaned and stood with me as did Carl, still shaking his head but
making his way towards me and the protection of my flashlight.
Shane’s hand gripped mine from where he still sat on the ground. “I’ll see you in a little while,
alright?”
My face grew hotter as I nodded shyly.
“Yeah.”
“Goodnight,” Lori called sarcastically as Carl and I made our way towards
her.
So, good-naturedly as I was, I popped her on the back of the head as I
passed, calling out over my shoulder.
“Not one more word.”
No comments:
Post a Comment