Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Chapter Fourteen


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property of their respective owners.  The original character and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

Summary: When the world ended the only thing Birdie Grimes wanted to do was to get home to her family.  When she finds her sister-in-law and best friend on the outskirts of Atlanta, will she finally get the chance to tell him how she really feels?  Will love blossom?  *No evil Shane* 

Warning:  This fan-fiction is rated Mature for Language, Gore and Adult Situations.  Readers under the age of 18 are strongly discouraged from reading.

Pairing: Shane Walsh x Birdie Grimes

Chapter Fourteen


 

Just as Ed had come at me again, Shane yanked him up by his shirt collar and dragged him away. 

We all watched helplessly as Shane gave Ed—what I was sure to be the beating of his life.  The girls were all screaming at him to stop, but I couldn’t find my voice.  I felt that this was justified. 

In my mind Ed deserved to feel what it was like to be on the receiving end of a fist that held more power than his.  Nevertheless, it was a startling thing to witness first hand.  I had seen Shane fight before—the idiot had too big of a mouth in high school to ever be denied that rite of passage—but I had never, never seen Shane this angry.  It was a little frightening. 

Amy tugged on my arm, bringing back to the present where Shane remained settled on top of Ed, continuously hitting him.  “You have to stop him; he’ll kill Ed if you don’t.” 

She was right, it was very likely that Shane would kill him if I didn’t step in, but I was weary to get near a man swinging his fist like that right now.  I had never been hit by a man before.  Like any other woman, I had my fair share of bruises from roughhousing with my brother and his friends, but I had never been hit purposefully. 

Admittedly, I was a little scared. 

Carol was still screaming for her husband and I knew then that I couldn’t let Shane continue on the way he was.  I couldn’t allow the rest of the group look at him like he was unstable. 

Darting forward until I was almost on top of them, I screamed for Shane to stop.  He did so instantly, but never turned away from Ed. 

“You put your hands on your wife, your little girl or anyone else in this camp; I will not stop the next time.  You lay hands on my woman again and I’ll feed you to a fuckin’ walker.  Do you hear me?”  He growled his chest extending as he breathed down on the other man, a menacing finger in his face and squeezing Ed’s battered cheeks with the other. 

“Do you hear me?”  He repeated, punching Ed once more.  I winced as I heard the loud crack that followed.  “I’ll beat you to death, Ed!” 

“Shane!”  I cried.  “That’s enough.” 

He slung Ed backwards in the dirt, sneering and spitting at the ground as he backed away.  When he finally turned to face me, all of the anger disappeared and was replaced by a look of pure concern as he rushed over to me. 

“Birdie, are you alright, baby?”  He asked. 

Now that he mentioned it, I didn’t feel so good.  My head was throbbing and I felt like I might vomit at any moment.  I shook my head, answering his question and swayed on my feet.

Shane surged forward, grabbing me by both of my arms to steady me.  “What is it?  Baby, what hurts?” 

“My head,” I groaned, promptly throwing a hand over my mouth as I broke out of his grip and turned around and dropped to my knees, expelling the entire contents  my stomach. 

“Shit,” Shane swore, dropping down on his haunches beside me and rubbing my back.  “You get it all up.” 

I nodded once, still feeling a little dizzy. 

Without word, he scooped me up bridal style and started back towards camp, growling at Ed as we passed the others loading him into his vehicle. 

As soon as we made it to Dale’s R.V., everyone in the near vicinity came running.  Lori looked frantic as she saw me being carried in Shane’s arms.  “My God, what happened?”

“That no good, piece of—

I smacked him in the arm, looking up at him with dizzy eyes and mouthed Carl. 

He growled and spit out, “Ed,” and placed me gently on one of the camping chairs around the fire pit. 

Dale came over looking concerned but never even got a word out before Shane barked at him, asking for a flashlight. 

Lori stroked my hair tenderly, asking softly for more details.

Suddenly, she gasped loudly and jumped backwards.  “Jesus, Birdie, you’re bleeding.”   She said, extending her hand so that we could all see the blood coating her fingers.  My stomach rolled at the sight. 

Dale came back at a jog, promptly handing over the flashlight to Shane who crouched in front of me and shined the light in each eye.  The action made me violently sick and I jerked away from him and leaned over to puke again. 

“I’m gonna kill’em.”  Shane said lowly.

“What is it?  What’s wrong with Aunt Birdie?”  Carl asked, his little voice quivering as he and Trusty came barreling into to investigate. 

“It’s nothing, big man, just a little knock on the head.”  I said lightly, trying to hold back tears so I wouldn’t scare him anymore than he already was.

Lori looked at me, then to Carl before she ordered him off to play.  He whined but she was firm about him going.  I was glad that she did, I didn’t want him to see me like this…he was already so worried about Rick. 

Trusty stayed behind, obviously worried about his Mama as he wouldn’t leave the place he had made for himself directly under my lawn-chair.

“What’s wrong, Shane?”  Lori asked when Carl was out of hearing range. 

“Her left eye’s blown out; she’s got one Hell of a concussion.”  He said, leaning forward to kiss my forehead.  “You’re gonna have one bitch of a headache for the next couple of days.  I don’t want you doin’ anythin’ strenuous either.” 

I went to protest but he cut me off.  “I mean it, Birdie, you could faint and cause yourself more damage.” 

I smiled at his concern.  “Alright, Papa Walsh, I’ll stay put.” 

He smiled back, kissing my lips this time as he whispered.  “Damn right you will, or I’ll put you over my knee and spank that cute lil’ ass till its blue.” 

I blushed brightly and Lori scoffed, muttering “Pervert,” under her breath. 

“Can I at least go check on Carol, Ed hit her pretty hard.”

Shane looked at me like I was crazy or stupid or possibly both and I hurried to tack on, “It’s not like Ed can get out of bed right now, anyway.”

He shook his head.  “I don’t like it, Birdie…but if you go, here…” he trailed off as he handed me the same pistol he had this morning.  “If he comes at you again, shoot that bastard.” 

I smiled and nodded at him. 



No comments:

Post a Comment