Disclaimer:
All publicly recognizable characters, settings, ect., are the property
of their respective owners. The original
character and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the
owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Summary: When the world ended the
only thing Birdie Grimes wanted to do was to get home to her family. When she finds her sister-in-law and best
friend on the outskirts of Atlanta, will she finally get the chance to tell him
how she really feels? Will love blossom? *No evil Shane*
Warning: This fan-fiction is rated Mature for
Language, Gore and Adult Situations.
Readers under the age of 18 are strongly discouraged from reading.
Pairing: Shane Walsh
x Birdie Grimes
Chapter
Ten
The progressed lazily and before I knew it, it was
midday. Rick was happily chatting up
Carol who had sweetly washed his uniform and was in the middle of pressing it
for him. Seriously, who the Hell irons
in the middle of the apocalypse?
At first, it seemed like today was gonna be a good one and
it probably would have been too if the screams of my nephew didn’t tear through
camp like death bell tolling. It only
got worse after that.
As we approached the edge of camp, Carl, Sophia and Eliza
came running back towards, fear evident in their eyes. After Rick had pressed Carl into Lori’s arms
and demanded that she, Carol and the kids return to camp the rest of us headed
up the ridge to investigate what had scarred them so badly.
Shane immediately checked the pistol at his hip before
pressing into my hands and telling me to keep my eyes open. Thank you, genius.
The sight that met us when we crested the ridge was one I
was sure I’d never forget. A walker in a
blue suit…bloody and missing part of its face was greedily chewing up the intestines
of a small deer.
“Oh God,” I groaned, feeling the bile rising up in my throat
as the smell hit me. God, it was so
disgusting.
After Dale had taken care of the threat, and had commented
that he had never seen a walker this close to camp before, I noticed the
brightly colored fletching on the three bolts that had more than likely killed
this animal. They were Daryl’s…I was
sure of it.
Not more than a few seconds later…my suspicions were
confirmed as the man himself came stomping out of the woods, cursing up a storm
when he noticed that the neck and insides were missing out of his prize.
He seemed tense and already more than willing to pick a
fight—as was clearly stated when he started in on Dale, but he stopped when he
saw me.
“’Sup, Birdie,” He said politely with a terse nod.
Ricky had humor shinning in his blue eyes as he regarded
Shane when he pulled me back against his chest and glared at Dixon. Like I said, he was a caveman.
“What do ya think, think we could cut ‘round this chewed up
part?” He asked looking up at Shane from
his kneeling position.
Okay, I’ve never considered myself one of those squeamish
girls…but the thought of eating anything that a walker had touched sent my
stomach rebelling inside my body.
“Really, Daryl…that’s just nasty.” I told him with my nose curled up in disgust,
fighting the urge to swat at him.
Shane leaned forward, I’m sure looking at the deer much in
the same manner as I had and grunted. “I
wouldn’t risk that.”
“Damn shame.” Daryl sighed, standing up. “Got us some squirrel though, ‘bout a dozen
or so, it’ll have to do.”
Things only went downhill from there…just like I knew they
would. The minute Daryl started
hollering for his brother I knew everything was about to get out of hand…
“To Hell with all o’ ya’ll!
Jus’ tell me where he is so I can go get’em.” Daryl wailed, shaking off anyone who tried to
approach him.
Surprisingly it was Lori who stepped forward, “He’ll show
you.”
My eyes widened as I turned to look at her. Was she smoking crack these days? Sure, I liked Merle alright. The man had never bothered me, not that I
knew him long enough to make any real judgments on his character…but this was my
brother we were talking about sending back into Atlanta.
As Daryl strolled away, I squeezed Shane’s hand and raced to
catch up with him. I don’t know what
compelled me to try and make this right, but I felt like maybe I could talk him
into taking me along instead. I was a
good shot and I was just as fast on my feet as Rick or Glenn.
“Daryl,” I yelled, trying to keep up with the fuming
man.
“What’d ya want?” He
screamed, turning around and pointing a threating finger in my face.
Not really taken back by his anger, as it was certainly
justified, I whispered. “I wanted to
say, I’m sorry.”
He scoffed. “What the
Hell you got to be sorry about. It’s my
brother—
“I know what it’s like to feel that loss—
“You don’t know nothin’, ya stupid bitch,” he snarled,
advancing on me. I could feel Shane’s
eyes burning holes into the back of my head and if Daryl wasn’t careful things
could turn very ugly, very fast. “Go one
back to yer cop boyfriend and leave me the Hell alone.”
Anger boiled in my gut as he called me a stupid bitch. “Listen here, Redneck. Your brother got left on a rooftop because he
was high and nearly got everyone killed.
And for your information…you’re putting my brother’s life at risk
by goin’ after him.”
“Yer brother…” Daryl stopped dead in his tracks, realization
dawning in his eyes.
“Yeah, Rick Grimes, my twin brother.” I said lowering my hackles, trying not to
antagonize the man with the very sharp knife.
“Look Dixon, I just came over here to see if I could help…”
“Listen here Birdie Grimes, if somethin’ happens ta
Merle ‘cause of yer brother I’m gonna—
“What Daryl? What
will you do? Slit all of our throats in
our sleep? Will you kill me?” I asked, taking a step closer. I just happened to notice that Trusty was not
at my heels, growling low, his fur standing on end. Like I said, fuck with Mama Grimes and Trusty
will bite you. After a long silence, I
scoffed, “Daryl, you might be a lot of things people don’t like…but you sure as
Hell ain’t the type of man ta lay hands on a woman.”
Before he could say anything else he’d probably regret
later, I flipped him the bird and stomped back to camp.
No comments:
Post a Comment